I have a question about the protobuf versions requ...
# ask-the-community
f
I have a question about the protobuf versions required by flyteidl:
onnx
and
tensorboardX
for instance don’t support protobuf 4 yet (see here and here) which blocks us from using newer versions of flyteidl and as a consequence flytekit.
tensorflow
also only supported 4.21 as of three weeks ago but this isn’t even part of the newest release yet so I would have to install from this commit. I understand this is annoying from the flyte side that these libraries move slower but is there any small chance 3.x could be supported again a little while longer? 🙈
f
That would be good indeed!
y
@Eduardo Apolinario (eapolinario)
wrt to flytekit, we are planning on supporting v1.2.x for a while (though admittedly we’re behind on merging in PRs)
we’ll get to that this week, but for the time being you should consider the 1.2 branch which is pinned to protobuf 3 to still be maintained
f
wrt to flytekit, we are planning on supporting v1.2.x for a while (though admittedly we’re behind on merging in PRs)
But new features will only be available in 1.3.x, right? We will need the new “pod_template arg in the task” feature that is coming soon to onboard the majority of our engineers.
y
no i think we’re going to try to maintain feature parity.
f
Oh wow, so there might be a 1.2.x version that will have the pod_templates and not require protobuf 4? Asking again to be sure I understand correctly because this would solve several problems I have right now ahah
e
@Fabio Grätz, just to reinforce the message, we are going to maintain the 1.2 branch going forward while maintaining feature parity. So expect a 1.2 flytekit release this week that will contain the pod template feature and other features that came in the 1.3 release.
f
Thanks a lot @Eduardo Apolinario (eapolinario) 🙏
Thanks for the release 🙏❤️
e
Let's know how it goes, @Fabio Grätz!