Hey, I am trying to configure Kafka to consume clo...
# ask-the-community
z
Hey, I am trying to configure Kafka to consume cloudevents. Seems like I was getting errors at kafka initialization.
Copy code
{"json":{"src":"base.go:73"},"level":"fatal","msg":"caught panic: kafka: client has run out of available brokers to talk to (Is your cluster reachable?) [goroutine 1 [running]:\nruntime/debug.Stack()\n\t/usr/local/go/src/runtime/debug/stack.go:24 +0x65\<http://ngithub.com/flyteorg/flyteadmin/pkg/rpc/adminservice.NewAdminServer.func1()\n\t/go/src/github.com/flyteorg/flyteadmin/pkg/rpc/adminservice/base.go:73|ngithub.com/flyteorg/flyteadmin/pkg/rpc/adminservice.NewAdminServer.func1()\n\t/go/src/github.com/flyteorg/flyteadmin/pkg/rpc/adminservice/base.go:73> +0x88\npanic({0x224d580, 0xc0009c8300})\n\t/usr/local/go/src/runtime/panic.go:838 +0x207\<http://ngithub.com/flyteorg/flyteadmin/pkg/async/cloudevent.NewCloudEventsPublisher(|ngithub.com/flyteorg/flyteadmin/pkg/async/cloudevent.NewCloudEventsPublisher(>{0x2bd10a0, 0xc00005a018}, {0x1, {0xc000f2e460, 0x5}, {{0x0, 0x0}},
The weird thing is that we tried to use the same version sarama client to connect to the kafka instance in the same cluster, and it works. (Also I was able to success at this step, yet after I redeployed with eventTypes set to a single type it failed and could never get back to normal) The cloudevent config I used is the following:
Copy code
cloudevents:
    enable: true
    kafka:
      brokers: kafkaip
      version:
        version:
    eventsPublisher:
      eventTypes:
      - all
      topicName: workflow-engine-test
    type: Kafka
Any clue what could be the problem?
s
Hey @Dan Rammer (hamersaw). Would you be able to help?
z
add up to that, the error was pretty flaky. I was able to create couple deployment that can create the sender successfully. Yet it would break if we re-deployed it with irrelevant changes.
d
@Zhiyi Li thanks for your patienceon this, it seems like a very difficult problem to debug! You said you used the same sarma client version to connect (presumably outside of Flyte) with no issue, is this correct? Are there any configuration options in that connection that we are not setting in Flyte?
z
We found the problem was the json decoding of the kafka version did not work. Can someone takes a further look to see how to fix it?
d
I'm not sure I fully understand, can you elaborate on this? Is this an issue in a Flyte repo or sarma client?
z
This is a flyte repo problem I suspect. The input interface of the kafkaconfig inside cloud_event reads in as
Copy code
version: 
  verion: []int
Yet the admin accessor expects the config to be
Copy code
Version:
  version:[]int
Some part of the above struct conversion is not working properly and the decode fails…
message has been deleted
d
Ah, OK. I think I'm understanding. When decoding the KafkaConfig FlyteAdmin expects a capitalized "Version". In the screenshot you provide the config you specified is
[2,2,0,0]
and it was incorrectly parsed as
[0,0,0,0]
. Is this correct? Have you tried updating your config to:
Copy code
cloudevents:
    enable: true
    kafka:
      brokers: kafkaip
      Version:
        version:
    eventsPublisher:
      eventTypes:
      - all
      topicName: workflow-engine-test
    type: Kafka
I'm wondering if there is a specific reason we didn't annotate the
Version
with a JSON name because it's the only way to properly decode the
sarama.KafkaVersion
@Kevin Su you have worked with Kafka events right? Do you have any insight here?
^^ nm my suggestion to capitalize
Version
does not work.
@Zhiyi Li thanks for diving into this and finding it - since the
version
variable in the
sarama.Version
is not exported, I'm not sure we can parse it through the config. It looks like the sarama client exposes versions through it's own global variables (ex.
V2_2_0
, ..., etc). We probably need to use those to correctly allow users to configured the client. Does this sound correct to you?
z
That sounds reasonable to me
d
cc @Kevin Su ^^^
k
Hi @Zhiyi Li. I just created a PR to fix it. Mind taking a look?