<@U06HBGN1SA0> I am running a `map_task` within a ...
# ask-ai
m
@Glime I am running a
map_task
within a dynamic workflow. I have set the
timeout
using
flytekit.TaskMetadata
and passing it as
metadata
to
map_task
. My expectation was that it would apply to each of the tasks executed by
map_task
, but I am getting timeout errors when the whole
map_task
runtime breaches the same timeout. Was my understanding not correct?
g
Your understanding was partially correct. In Flyte, when you set a
timeout
using
flytekit.TaskMetadata
and pass it to a
map_task
, the expectation is indeed that it applies to the individual tasks executed by the
map_task
. However, there seems to be a known issue where the
timeout
is incorrectly applied to the entire
map_task
node, rather than to each individual task within it. This behavior is not expected and has been recognized as a bug in the Flyte system. This issue has been discussed in the Flyte community, where it was noted that the
timeout
applies to the entire
map_task
node when it should ideally apply to each task individually. This can cause the
map_task
to fail if the total execution time of all tasks sequentially exceeds the specified timeout, even if each individual task does not exceed the timeout limit on its own. To address your issue, it would be beneficial to follow the updates on this bug and check for any patches or updates that might resolve this incorrect timeout behavior. In the meantime, you might need to adjust your workflow design or timeout settings to accommodate this behavior. --- This is an AI-generated response, take its recommendations with caution. Please help us improve the model accuracy by giving this response a thumbs up/thumbs down reaction. Sources https://github.com/flyteorg/flyte/issues/3875/ 👍 button 👎 button