I'm trying the new ArrayNode implementation of `ma...
# ask-the-community
e
I'm trying the new ArrayNode implementation of
map_task
but my subtasks are stuck in the "Queued" state. Seeing the following in the Flyte admin logs.
Copy code
Request failed due to [rpc error: code = NotFound desc = Failed to get existing node execution id: [node_id:"dn0" execution_id:<project:"flytetester" domain:"development" name:"eric-vtph869yqo6qyxstzp2diw" > ] with err: entry not found]. If it's an unauthenticated error, we will attempt to establish an authenticated context.
Copy code
ArrayNode event recording failed: [ExecutionNotFound: The execution that the event belongs to does not exist, caused by [rpc error: code = NotFound desc = Failed to get existing node execution id: [node_id:"dn0" execution_id:<project:"flytetester" domain:"development" name:"eric-vtph869yqo6qyxstzp2diw" > ] with err: entry not found]]
Copy code
failed Execute for node. Error: ExecutionNotFound: The execution that the event belongs to does not exist, caused by [rpc error: code = NotFound desc = Failed to get existing node execution id: [node_id:"dn0" execution_id:<project:"flytetester" domain:"development" name:"eric-vtph869yqo6qyxstzp2diw" > ] with err: entry not found]
y
can you copy/paste in a minimal repro?
also which helm chart are you running?
e
Copy code
@dynamic
def my_subtask(input: str) -> str:
    <http://logging.info|logging.info>('Starting my_subtask')

i = 0
    while i < 60:
        logging.info(f'subtask Iteration - {i}')
        sleep(10)
        i += 1

return f"subtask - {input}"

@dynamic
def example_task(input: str) -> str:
    <http://logging.info|logging.info>('Starting example_task')

map_task(my_subtask)(
        input=["a", "b", "c", "d", "e"]
    )

return "hi"
This works if I just swap in the old
map_task
m
helm chart is flyte-core (hi)
y
can you try changing
my_subtask
to a normal task instead of a dynamic task?
i could be behind, but last i heard, i don’t believe the new arraynode supported non-normal tasks yet.
e
ah, okay. I'll give that a shot
huh, interestingly, I was able to get it to work by setting
example_task
(the parent) to be
task
but it's fine if the subtask stays as
dynamic
y
actually that makes less sense.
i’m probably missing something though - @Eduardo Apolinario (eapolinario) whenever you get a chance to take a look at this.
e
Looking
e
actually.. it's not quite working turns out if I have
example_task
set to
task
instead of
dynamic
, I lose parallelism of the
map_task
and the tasks are executed serially. I tried setting
concurrency
but that didn't fix it. So I have the following situation • old map_task +
example_task
as
@task
-> executes serially • old map_task +
example_task
as
@dynamic
-> executes in parallel (what I want) • new map_task +
example_task
as
@task
-> executes serially • new map_task +
example_task
as
@dynamic
-> doesn't launch subtask pods
e
yeah, confirmed that the bug is happening with
@dynamic + array node map tasks
. And just to clarify a misconception, nested tasks (in this case a map task running as part of another
@task
) are not distributed, i.e. they all run in the same container (serially in the original container. In this latest flytekit release you'll start seeing a warning that explains this (more specifically you'll see a message that says
"You are not supposed to nest @Task/@Workflow inside a @Task!"
in the logs).
e
oh okay. thanks! Do you think this is something you guys would be trying to fix soon?
e
Yes, for sure. We take correctness bugs very seriously. We’ll update this thread after an initial investigation.
d
Hey @Eric Song! I had a chance to dive into this a bit. The issue is the
ArrayNode
event reporting does not match node IDs when it's a child node. So in addition to the dynamic as you mentioned, this doesn't work in subworkflows or conditionals either. I have a small PR that corrects the execution, but it is not meshing well with the UI. We're having some deeper internal discussion to sort all of this out.
Thanks so much for surfacing this issue. As an experimental feature, there may unfortunately be some low hanging rough edges with
ArrayNode
, but we are very excited about all of the feature improvements they can bring to maptasks!
e
np! thanks for getting on top of it so quickly.