Hi all! I'm running into an issue with task cachi...
# ask-the-community
j
Hi all! I'm running into an issue with task caching on a Flyte workflow using a container image where the
diskcache
package seems to be unable to create the relevant local cache directory -- is this expected / is there something further I need to do to enable caching? I've registered this workflow and I'm running it on the Flyte app (not on my local machine). The workflow runs fine when setting
cache=False
, but I'd love to be able to take advantage of Flyte's caching here to avoid rerunning on the same files repeatedly
Copy code
IMAGE_SPEC = ImageSpec(
    env={[redacted]},
    pip_index=[redacted]
    packages=[[redacted]],
    base_image="<http://ghcr.io/flyteorg/flytekit:py3.11-1.8.3|ghcr.io/flyteorg/flytekit:py3.11-1.8.3>",
    registry=[redacted],
)

@task(container_image=IMAGE_SPEC, cache=True, cache_version="0.1")
def download_file(document_id: int) -> Document:
Copy code
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/flytekit/exceptions/scopes.py", line 206, in user_entry_point
        return wrapped(*args, **kwargs)
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      File "/root/data/download.py", line 86, in process_documents
        doc = download_file(document_id=document)
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/flytekit/core/base_task.py", line 304, in __call__
        return flyte_entity_call_handler(self, *args, **kwargs)  # type: ignore
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/flytekit/core/promise.py", line 1022, in flyte_entity_call_handler
        result = cast(LocallyExecutable, entity).local_execute(child_ctx, **kwargs)
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/flytekit/core/base_task.py", line 268, in local_execute
        outputs_literal_map = LocalTaskCache.get(self.name, self.metadata.cache_version, input_literal_map)
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/flytekit/core/local_cache.py", line 66, in get
        LocalTaskCache.initialize()
      File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/flytekit/core/local_cache.py", line 54, in initialize
        LocalTaskCache._cache = Cache(CACHE_LOCATION)
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/diskcache/core.py", line 450, in __init__
        raise EnvironmentError(

[Errno 13] Cache directory "/home/flytekit/.flyte/local-cache" does not exist and could not be created

User error.
e
@Joe Kelly, is
download_file
being invoked inside another task?
j
Yes, it is:
Copy code
@task(container_image=IMAGE_SPEC)
def process_documents(documents: typing.List[int]) -> typing.List[Document]:
    docs = []
    for document in documents:
        doc = download_file(document_id=document)
        docs.append(doc)
    return docs
I can restructure this as a dynamic workflow (e.g., removing the middle layer of
process_documents()
and performing the loop directly in a dynamic
download_files()
-- but then my caching doesn't work as I would like it to. In my restructured case, the cache only avoids rerunning the download task if the full list of files is precisely the same -- the behavior that I want is for Flyte to recognize if some subset of the listed files are cached, to ignore those, and to only run on the "new" files in the list
Ah! I think I figured out the correct way to do what I'm doing here. I've kept my
download_file()
to process a single file (so I get the desired caching benefits), but I've removed the intermediate
process_documents()
task call and I'm now calling
download_file
directly with a
MapTask
from my workflow:
Copy code
files = map_task(download_file)(document_id=documents)
This seems to be running and caching properly! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction @Eduardo Apolinario (eapolinario)!
e
awesome. Glad I could help you figure it out!