Hey friends! Curious to get people's opinions on m...
# ask-the-community
p
Hey friends! Curious to get people's opinions on my testing strategy. My workflow is all filebased processing, so I was thinking of importing my task into say test_task1.py, running it against an input with a known output, and then writing a second task that compares the actual output to the known output, and combining both into a workflow. I could then aggregate all these task-test-workflows as subworkflows into one large testing suite parent workflow. What do ya reckon? Am I over-engineering the socks off this?
j
can you not test your worklows locally?
p
Hey Jay, thanks for chiming in. Most of them I can, yes, I guess I'm looking to setup something a bit more formal/declarative so I'm not just eyeballing it / doing a lot of repeated clicking.
Trying to automate my testing and get serious with some test-driven-development
j
oh i mean just use pytest
in our test, we just use pytest to execute the workflow locally and compare the outputs after it
so its like a 1 command to run our whole e2e suite
p
I see.. so you basically execute your whole workflow with pytest locally and then run a bunch of asserts between expected and actual outputs? How well does pytest play with Flyte native objects like FlyteFiles? I don't suppose your test suite is open source so I could take a gander? 😅
j
you might need to mock few things but overall pretty easy to setup. However our test image has access to cloud so we use Flytefile as it is
yeah part of the proprietary repo 😅 but Flytekit tests might give you some nice hint on how they are doing their tests
p
Oh interesting... great suggestion on looking into flytekit tests, I was barking up te wrong tree in the flytesnacks repo. Is this vaguely the approach you're suggesting?
Copy code
def test_lp():
    @task
    def t1(a: int) -> typing.NamedTuple("OutputsBC", t1_int_output=int, c=str):
        a = a + 2
        return a, "world-" + str(a)

@workflow
    def wf(a: int) -> (str, str):
        x, y = t1(a=a)
        u, v = t1(a=x)
        return y, v

lp = launch_plan.LaunchPlan.get_or_create(wf, "get_or_create1")
    lp2 = launch_plan.LaunchPlan.get_or_create(wf, "get_or_create1")
    assert lp.name == "get_or_create1"
    assert lp is lp2

default_lp = launch_plan.LaunchPlan.get_or_create(wf)
    default_lp2 = launch_plan.LaunchPlan.get_or_create(wf)
    assert default_lp is default_lp2

with pytest.raises(ValueError):
        launch_plan.LaunchPlan.get_or_create(wf, default_inputs={"a": 3})

lp_with_defaults = launch_plan.LaunchPlan.create("get_or_create2", wf, default_inputs={"a": 3})
    assert lp_with_defaults.parameters.parameters["a"].default.scalar.primitive.integer == 3
(from flytekit/tests/flytekit/unit/core/test_launch_plan.py) if anyone stumbles on this thread in the future
j
Hmm that’s a little bit different we just have a pre determined launch plans so we just import the workflow or launch plan and compare the outputs
But I think it’s usually up to what type of test you want to create We have 1 type of unit test for testing the correctness of the workflow itself without really running it with mocking Then 1 type (end to end) that actually executes workflows and writes data to cloud and compare the file contents
Not sure they are really the best approach Haha it’s just what we have at the moment 😅
p
Gotcha - so your setup might be closer to:
Copy code
import my_task
def test_my_task():
    out_ = my_task(in_)
    assert out_ == expected_out
And since you can run everything locally you just run
pytest test .
(or wtv) and it handles everything. I think that would work for most of my tasks, however one relies on a daemon running in another pod, so that might have to be e2e by definition. It's true what you're saying though, there's never 1 right way to test things, always a balancing act. Thanks for sharing your insights, you've set me on a more productive path I think! Lots to think about...