Hey, I'm looking to deploy Flyte to the GCP for da...
# ask-the-community
m
Hey, I'm looking to deploy Flyte to the GCP for data and ML pipelines following the tutorial here: https://docs.flyte.org/en/stable/deployment/gcp/manual.html#create-a-gke-cluster. I'm wondering if someone has experience in setting up a small to medium production cluster, what kind of instance types they used, and some other things to be careful about ...? Thanks!
s
Hi @Fabio Grätz! Would you mind providing some guidance here? 🙂
f
Hey 🙂 I’d create one node pool with cpu-only machines, e.g.
n1-standard-2
, on which flyte will run. For the cloud sql database, a
db-n1-standard-2
/
db-custom-2-7680
(same machine but only the latter is accepted when configuring through terraform) is enough. Make sure that the database uses a private service connection as mentioned in the docs. For GPU machines, I recommend you don’t configure node pools with pre-defined types but instead just rely on GKE’s node auto provisioning feature which allows you to create the right-sized nodes on the fly, completely automatically. I recommend you activate GKE’s new image streaming feature which reduces start up times significantly! In case you have any questions while going through the guide, feel free to ping me 🙂
I haven’t tried the new opta installation guide yet, you might want to check it out. In case you go for the “normal” GKE installation guide, you don’t need the managed certificate that is mentioned in case you use the nginx ingress controller. Also, this PR that will update the GKE installation guide is very helpful to get auth to work. As I said, feel free to ping me with any error msgs/logs you might encounter.