Hey ya’ll! I’m currently looking into using Flyte...
# ask-the-community
c
Hey ya’ll! I’m currently looking into using Flyte as a solution for our DS and DE team- I’ve got a quick question about running the Getting Started Demo. For some reason the first task,
generate_normal_df
, is getting stuck on
running
and has been
queued
for a while now. This was done using the local demo Flyte Cluster. Running it locally (
pyflyte run example.py wf --n 500 --mean 42 --sigma 2
) the workflow executes fine. However, running it on the Flyte Cluster (
pyflyte run --remote example.py wf --n 500 --mean 42 --sigma 2
) doesn’t seem to work properly on my end. Any ideas?
n
hi @Choenden Kyirong welcome and glad you’re checking Flyte out! How much memory is allocated on your Docker daemon? You can check on the desktop app under Settings > Resources. If it’s low can you try bumping it up to 16 or 32 GB?
d
@Choenden Kyirong welcome to the Flyte community You can also check the current resource consumption of your local K8s node by issuing:
kubectl get node
and then
kubectl top node <insert-node-name>
and see if there's a bottleneck there
c
@Niels Bantilan Here’s my resource allocation. I just bumped it up to 4GB (i’m only on a 8GB RAM laptop atm). I restarted it and it’s still queued. Is it required to have atleast 16GB Ram to run this locally?
@David Espejo (he/him) Here’s the output:
Copy code
NAME           CPU(cores)   CPU%   MEMORY(bytes)   MEMORY%
15ca09abf4e8   260m         13%    1467Mi          37%
What would be the typical values that would be alarming and show a possible bottleneck?
d
something closer to the assigned resources, but here it seems that it's not hitting the limits
are all the pods running just fine? eg
kubectl get po --namespace=flyte -o wide
c
@David Espejo (he/him) They seem to be running okay?
d
right, can we see logs for the flyte-binary pod? that would be
kubectl logs sandbox-flyte-binary-7757889f4-ztwk4 --namespace=flyte
c
@David Espejo (he/him), It’s quite long so i directed the output to a text file:
(thank you very much for the help by the way! Super appreciated)
d
so far, the only thing that catches my attention in the logs (and one I haven't been able to reproduce in my demo environment) is this:
Failed to fetch override values when assigning task resource default values for [resource_type:WORKFLOW project:\"flytesnacks\" domain:\"development\" name:\"<http://example.wf|example.wf>\" version:\"3JYuYTF4Gw0iPU97G0_TiQ==\" ]: Resource [{Project:flytesnacks Domain:development Workflow:<http://example.wf|example.wf> LaunchPlan: ResourceType:TASK_RESOURCE}] not found","ts":"2023-01-26T18:53:44Z"}
Can you please share the output of:
flytectl get launchplan -d development -p flytesnacks
In case you need them, here the instructions to install flytectl
or just a snapshot of the Launch Plans section in the UI
c
@David Espejo (he/him) This? I went into launch plans ->
<http://example.wf|example.wf>
-> execution id of the running workflow.
n
@Eduardo Apolinario (eapolinario) @Kevin Su any ideas on why the Getting Started example might be hanging?
d
btw, following up with Choenden on DM, added the config environment variable @Choenden Kyirong just let us know if now it works
e
@Choenden Kyirong, can you check the kubernetes logs for that task? If you do
kubectl -n flytesnacks-development get pods
you should see a pod named
ashbv8...
(the execution id) and from there can you dump the contents of that pod using
kubectl -n flytesnacks-development get pod -o yaml <podname>
. This will allow us to confirm what's happening from the k8s perspective.
c
hmmm…after discussing with @David Espejo (he/him) and adding the config variable- i teared down the demo via:
flytectl demo teardown
. However, now when i
flytectl demo start
, i receive this error:
Copy code
$ flytectl demo start
INFO[0000] [0] Couldn't find a config file []. Relying on env vars and pflags.
🧑‍🏭 Bootstrapping a brand new flyte cluster... 🔨 🔧
🐋 Going to use Flyte v1.3.0 release with image <http://cr.flyte.org/flyteorg/flyte-sandbox-bundled:sha-f69fb09ca189e8bf57e1a6a12db168274f640d15|cr.flyte.org/flyteorg/flyte-sandbox-bundled:sha-f69fb09ca189e8bf57e1a6a12db168274f640d15>
🐋 pulling docker image for release <http://cr.flyte.org/flyteorg/flyte-sandbox-bundled:sha-f69fb09ca189e8bf57e1a6a12db168274f640d15|cr.flyte.org/flyteorg/flyte-sandbox-bundled:sha-f69fb09ca189e8bf57e1a6a12db168274f640d15>
🧑‍🏭 booting Flyte-sandbox container
Waiting for cluster to come up...
context modified for "flyte-sandbox" and switched over to it.
+-----------------------------------+---------------+-----------+
|              SERVICE              |    STATUS     | NAMESPACE |
| k8s: This might take a little bit | Bootstrapping |           |
Error: Get "<https://127.0.0.1:6443/api/v1/nodes>": dial tcp 127.0.0.1:6443: connect: connection refused
{"json":{},"level":"error","msg":"Get \"<https://127.0.0.1:6443/api/v1/nodes>\": dial tcp 127.0.0.1:6443: connect: connection refused","ts":"2023-01-26T12:51:05-08:00"}
@Eduardo Apolinario (eapolinario), prior to you sending that message i had already tore down the demo! Those commands can’t dump the contents of that pod anymore (i think?)
e
that's true, if you tore down the cluster they are gone. As for this error that you're seeing now... does it take long (as in multiple minutes) for it to show up?
c
@Eduardo Apolinario (eapolinario) up and running now- still queued as before. Here is the output from:
kubectl -n flytesnacks-development get pods
:
Copy code
NAME                        READY   STATUS    RESTARTS   AGE
f2009af361c7d4739b15-n0-0   0/1     Pending   0          4m22s
And i’ve directed the output of
kubectl -n flytesnacks-development get pod -o yaml f2009af361c7d4739b15-n0-0
to the attached txt file.
e
very interesting. The imporant bit hit is:
Copy code
message: '0/1 nodes are available: 1 Insufficient cpu. preemption: 0/1 nodes are
      available: 1 No preemption victims found for incoming pod.'
c
hmm yeah. i dont have much hands on experience with k8's- just some of the basic knowledge- trying to learn as i go atm with flyte. Is this a resource issue due to my local?
e
tell us a bit more about your local system. Are you running on a mac? Is it an M1? Linux?
c
Mac, Intel, 8GB RAM
e
ok, let's double-check resources on the node. Can you run
kubectl get nodes
and then
kubectl describe node <node-name>
?
c
e
yeah... 2 CPUs is not enough since the node uses ~1.5 CPU
let me see if there's k3s logs that show this more clearly.
c
@Eduardo Apolinario (eapolinario) I see….okay
@Eduardo Apolinario (eapolinario) @David Espejo (he/him) Increased the CPU to 4 and Memory to 3.00 GB in my Docker resource. The workflow succeeded.
e
Alright. We should document this, @Niels Bantilan / @David Espejo (he/him).
c
fyi the task:
generate_normal_df
ran in 2m 23s. I’m using an older laptop atm (macbook pro 2015) and won’t be doing so for this usually- but yeah.