Hi, I’m excited to start using FlyteRemote. My fir...
# flytekit
n
Hi, I’m excited to start using FlyteRemote. My first usecase is I’d like to retrieve a launchplan and modify a default input before executing. I have successfully done this for primitive inputs (str, int, etc.), but FlyteRemote complained when I tried to pass in a
@dataclass_json
class
Foo
. It said i needed
types.FooSchema
not
Foo
. I assume there is some way to transform
Foo
into
FooSchema
using either dataclass_json api or flyte api, but I’m not sure how to do it. Could you direct me? Exception and sample code in thread Thanks!
Copy code
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "orchestration/msat/utility/flyte_remote.py", line 26, in <module>
    print(remote.execute(entity=level2_single_retrieval_lp, inputs={"proxy_params": proxy_params}))
  File "/Users/nlofaso/.virtualenvs/msat/lib/python3.8/site-packages/flytekit/remote/remote.py", line 842, in execute
    return self.execute_remote_task_lp(
  File "/Users/nlofaso/.virtualenvs/msat/lib/python3.8/site-packages/flytekit/remote/remote.py", line 919, in execute_remote_task_lp
    return self._execute(
  File "/Users/nlofaso/.virtualenvs/msat/lib/python3.8/site-packages/flytekit/remote/remote.py", line 715, in _execute
    lit = TypeEngine.to_literal(ctx, v, hint, variable.type)
  File "/Users/nlofaso/.virtualenvs/msat/lib/python3.8/site-packages/flytekit/core/type_engine.py", line 692, in to_literal
    transformer.assert_type(python_type, python_val)
  File "/Users/nlofaso/.virtualenvs/msat/lib/python3.8/site-packages/flytekit/core/type_engine.py", line 97, in assert_type
    raise TypeTransformerFailedError(f"Type of Val '{v}' is not an instance of {t}")
flytekit.core.type_engine.TypeTransformerFailedError: Type of Val 'Level2ProxyParameters(id='FlyteRemoteTest', job_i_step=1, job_j_step=300, control_template={'CO2': 'CO2_GGG2020_1x1_MAIR.control', 'H2O': 'H2O_GGG2020_1x1_MAIR.control', 'O2': 'O2_GGG2020_1x1_MAIR.control'}, aggregation=<Aggregation.GROUP_1x1: '1x1'>)' is not an instance of <class 'types.Level2proxyparametersSchema'>
I tried using
Copy code
proxy_params.schema()
but received
Copy code
flytekit.core.type_engine.TypeTransformerFailedError: Type of Val '<Level2proxyparametersSchema(many=False)>' is not an instance of <class 'types.Level2proxyparametersSchema'>
n
hey @Nicholas LoFaso can you try providing the
type_hints
argument to the
remote.execute
call?
Copy code
remote.execute(..., type_hints={"proxy_params": types.Level2proxyparametersSchema})
I’ve come across this issue before, if I recall correctly in my case it happened because the dataclass was defined programmatically and wasn’t accessible in the module-level scope. Let me know what you get
n
Incredible that was exactly the issue! Thanks @Niels Bantilan
Copy code
remote.execute(..., type_hints={"proxy_params": Level2ProxyParameters})
n
@Nicholas LoFaso great! just to confirm, is
Level2ProxyParameters
being defined programmatically (say, within a function), or is it defined in the top-level scope of your module?
n
It’s defined in a different package (not within a function)
n
gotcha. @Eduardo Apolinario (eapolinario) @Yee we should probably • look into why the type transformer can handle these cases and raises:
Copy code
flytekit.core.type_engine.TypeTransformerFailedError: Type of Val '<Level2proxyparametersSchema(many=False)>' is not an instance of <class 'types.Level2proxyparametersSchema'>
• if appropriate, update the error message here to direct the user to use the
type_hints
argument • document this behavior better @Smriti Satyan @Samhita Alla
👀 1
c
This workaround fixed things for us too. If other people find this (can add this to an issue if one exists, will look in a minute), be sure to pass default_project and default_domain when creating your remote object. We passed them during fetch_workflow, and got an error during execute about missing project/domain (edit: don't see an issue from https://github.com/flyteorg/flyte/issues?q=Level2proxyparametersSchema, may be tangentially related to https://github.com/flyteorg/flyte/issues/2502, but not trivially the same as this is about dataclasses)
Opened https://github.com/flyteorg/flyte/issues/2844 to help with search in the future
s
cc: @Eduardo Apolinario (eapolinario) / @Yee