Is there a way to know inside a type transformer i...
# ask-the-community
a
Is there a way to know inside a type transformer if it is being called for a
task
vs
dynamic
or
workflow
What I am really trying to do: • I have a sprawling workflow, that has multiple nested dynamics • Passing large lists/dataclasses through multiple levels of the nesting seems to slow the UI down significantly • I already have a TypeTransformer that creates a compact representation of the large inputs (by having users apply a custom decorator to the type definitoin of their large inputs) ◦ But for better inspectibility, I would like to expand the compact representation back into the original flyte representation, but only on
task
Is that possible?
k
I don’t follow. Honeythe way to think is - types are constant I. Programming languages. You can alter viz of these types in Python layer for sure. This can be done by using different types that transform to the same underlying type in Flyte. For example pandas dataframe, polars dataframe are all structured dataset
a
Maybe the example of custom TypeTransformer could help:
Copy code
def to_literal(
        self,
        ctx: FlyteContext,
        python_val: PickleDataClassMixin,
        python_type: Type[PickleDataClassMixin],
        expected: LiteralType,
    ) -> Literal:
        path = persist_python_value(python_val)
        json_repr = maybe_get_json_repr(python_val)

blob_literal = Literal(
            scalar=Scalar(blob=Blob(uri=path, metadata=BlobMetadata(type=self._TYPE_INFO)))
        )

if json_repr is None:
            literal = Literal(map=LiteralMap(literals={"pickle_path": blob_literal}))
        else:
            structure_literal = Literal(
                scalar=Scalar(generic=_json_format.Parse(json_repr, _struct.Struct())),
            )
            literal = Literal(
                map=LiteralMap(
                    literals={"pickle_path": blob_literal, "structure": structure_literal}
                )
            )
        return literal
In this example: • the transformer returns
dict(pickle_path=blob_literal, structure=structure_literal)
if the object is json serializable, else returns
dict(pickle_path=blob_literal)
• The
to_python_value
method only uses the
pickle_path
to convert back into python object This works quite well - objects with a json repr show up with both
pickle_path
and
structure
attribute in flyte console (see screenshot 1) What I’d like to do is to switch between
pickle_path + structure
and only
pickle_path
based on if the literal is being created to be passed into a
task
vs
dynamic
(hope that makes it more clear, I am not trying to mutate types, just their representations in the UI)
Following up on this if there are any pointers here? 🙏
k
Cc @Yee can you opine
y
no i don’t think this is possible without changing core flytekit. flytekit does know that it’s operating for a dynamic task, but the translation of inputs/outputs happens at the outer layer, before the task specific stuff happens.
however, what’s the core issue here though? Is it just UI performance?
cc @Jason Porter
it just feels a bit wrong to change flytekit core code to work around a ui performance issue.
a
however, what’s the core issue here though? Is it just UI performance?
Yes, this is especially worse when trying to run an HPO where one could want to spawn 100s of sub-workflows to train models across different hyperparameters
k
@Archit Rathore can you jump on to union serverless and try this, (dummy example) and if you then can share we can jump and help better
a
can you jump on to union serverless and try this
Happy to! Should I join the waitlist from here: https://signup.union.ai/?
Just signed up!