Non-technical -- I just upgraded the flyte-binary ...
# ask-the-community
t
Non-technical -- I just upgraded the flyte-binary (single binary) to latest 1.12 from 1.10.7 and the colors in status tags for tasks are jarring and harder to read. Is this configurable, or may I vote that these be restored to their previous readable (low-saturation color backgrounds) and meaningful colors (purple "aborted" is particularly hard to read - note that the screen clips below will show up zoomed in and therefore easier to read than in context at actual scale). Just an opinion from a design-oriented developer. :)
s
cc @Carina Ursu
j
Thanks for this feedback @Thomas Blom. We are in the midst of looking into the colors we are using in Union and will visit this as part of that work. Did you have any other design/aesthetic feedback on the UI?
t
Hey @John Votta, thanks for the response and interest. Everything below is (obviously!) just my opinion. The new typeface choices feel incongruent (Roboto Condensed, Mulish); the Roboto Condensed in some places is quite small, while the majority of content is displayed in Mulish, which has wider pitch than was used previously, resulting in less information able to display at a given width. This combo compromises both readability & information density, which are usually inversely correlated. Compare the two shots below, one from a previous post of mine (ignore the red arrows/text which are not germane to this discussion!). I tried to adjust the screen size/zoom to make these as comparable as possible but I note: • when I make the window wider, unlike previously when only the left-most very-wide name column grew (as appropriate), now ALL columns get wider, such that I can't easily cause the full name to be displayed, even when I make my window full-screen at reasonable scale. • the Mulish font being used doesn't feel as clean as the previous choice (I don't have a running console using the previous UI so can't explore in detail) -- and is notably wider pitch, so that you see a lot less information at a given scale and width -- see the task info tab that is overlayed where this is very obvious. Lots of "whitespace" in the new version. • Colors are obviously largely personal preference, but I thought the previous set (status tags) were well done in that: ◦ they formed a nice color family, and managed to fit with the "deep purple/violet" left sidebar better because they were very different in saturation. ◦ reds and greens felt very similar to those used in other mainstream standard apps to indicate failure/success so were immediately familiar and easy to interpret ◦ and most importantly, the color saturation of the status tags was low relative to the text, such that contrast was good, and text was very readable. • We've lost the nice purple link color for the task names, which was a nice organizing element for the eye (and also looked good with the same light-purple "Running" status tag). • We've lost the bolding in the header area (e.g. Domain: production) that makes things more quickly scannable. I think some of these points apply as well to the main Executions page (not pictured). I don't have an example for easy reference but to my mind: • color tags don't look great next to violet left sidebar • standard blue links look less good than a custom purple-ish color that goes with toolbar better • And is "View I/O" new? I'm not sure. Why not use the same I/O icon as in the single execution page? (attached) • In general, there are a lot of columns here that contain short text, but when you drag open the window, they all get very wide, which is wasted space, and doesn't allow you to see the wide columns you want to see. Again, just my opinions. I appreciate the complexity and tradeoffs in UI software design, and the balance in wanting to set yourself apart from other apps and yet employ familiar paradigms to leverage existing expectations towards "means what you think it does" behavior. Thanks for being interested!
j
This is fantastic feedback - I really appreciate it. You basically nailed the two main elements of the push we are making, which is to update the typography and colors. We will look into the table column behavior. cc @James Hoover
j
Thank you @Thomas Blom this is extremely valuable feedback because as John mentioned we are actively working towards updating these elements. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any other feedback 🙂