:wave: I have a couple tasks and a workflow that ...
# ask-the-community
a
👋 I have a couple tasks and a workflow that calls those. The issue I’m facing is that since
flytekit.task
returns a union of
PythonFunctionTask
FuncOut
Promise
the typechecker’s utility is greatly reduced. Is there a paved path to preserving the original function’s return type? Or some other way that is peaceful with the typechecker (using pyright)?
Code:
Copy code
@dataclass_json
@dataclass
class InnerDC:
    subfield: str
    subpath: str

@dataclass_json
@dataclass
class OuterDC:
    name: str
    path: str
    inner_dc: InnerDC
    uid: Optional[int] = None

@task
def make_test_dc(name: str, path: str, subfield: str, subpath: str) -> OuterDC:
    return OuterDC(name=name, path=path, inner_dc=InnerDC(subfield=subfield, subpath=subpath))

@task
def extract_subpath(dc: OuterDC) -> str:
    return dc.inner_dc.subpath

@workflow
def wf(name: str, path: str, subfield: str, subpath: str) -> str:
    dc = make_test_dc(name=name, path=path, subfield=subfield, subpath=subpath)
    return extract_subpath(dc=dc)
y
currently no. apologies.
this is a known issue though, and something we were at least planning on working on… soon
a
I see, thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity, what would the solution look like? Currently I am using a
TypedTask
protocol to overload the return type to be the same as the decorated function which is a decent compromise for now, but with some obvious downsides (no kwargs info, no docstrings etc)
y
the solution has yet to be discovered tbh. we were gonna start thinking about it next week tbh. at least planning to.
but it’d likely involve exporting a series of pyi files along with flytekit that can hopefully teach lsps how to interpret flytekit code correctly.
a
That sounds amazing! Much appreciated 🙏
l
+1 to this
y
still working on this.
all the issues we’ve collected. feel free to upvote one or all of them. this is something we definitely need to work on
cc @Eduardo Apolinario (eapolinario) @Thomas Fan
l
Definitely more of a nice-to-have, but it is a bit ironic how typing is at the core of flyte, but we don’t get good typing support with mypy, etc at the workflow and task definitions.
y
yeah i also feel that way
we’ll work on it.
e
rest assured you're not the only one, @Len Strnad . We're actively looking for solutions. 🙂
t
I opened https://github.com/flyteorg/flytekit/pull/2411 to get the ball rolling. I do not think it is the most correct solution, but it does enable type checking.