Has anyone been able to get flyte running in a sys...
# ask-the-community
n
Has anyone been able to get flyte running in a system with istio? I'm running into issues with init containers and wondering if there are any known workarounds
d
Hey Noah. What issues and what init containers? There have been issues in the past with Istio and the
flytescheduler-check
init container
n
We have issues with all of the init containers, so this would be • flyteadmin: run-migrations • datacatalog: run-migrations • flytescheduler: flytescheduler-check • flytepropeller: generate-secrets There's configuration to disable the flytescheduler-check, but not any of these other containers. I'm also not sure of the implications of disabling these containers, it seems like many of them are necessary. I'm currently exploring moving them to helm pre install hooks, but looking for better alternatives
The specific issues here are all network connectivity related as the init containers can come up before istio proxy is up. For instance, the run-migrations containers cannot connect to postgres and fail
d
cc @Jose Navarro / @Sujith Samuel and others who I think are Istio users. Also, I don't think disabling all those init containers would be safe 🙂
j
We went flyte binary route and we didn’t see this type of issues. However we found an issue with the istio sidecar on workflows pods sticking around but we found one option flag on flyte to allow it to remove them -> (edit:
inject-finalizer
)
I am trying to find my message when I posted the question. If I find it I will share it here
e
Thanks @Jose Navarro! Given flyte-binary runs most of the services in a single container, that makes sense... though I wonder in your installation if you've disabled the init container that performs the db check? https://github.com/flyteorg/flyte/blob/master/charts/flyte-binary/templates/deployment.yaml#L63-L97
For our deploys, we use fltye-core and separate services -- and we also host Postgres ourselves rather than use a hosted service like RDS.
j
No really, it did run
e
Ah, interesting. And out of curiosity, are you on k8s 1.29 and using the new sidecar container support for Istio?
j
No yet
I think we are at 1.27
I can get you istio versions and confirm k8s version tomorrow
e
I wonder if you're using the uid
workaround by any chance?
j
I didn't know about it, but looks like our istio pods have the
runasUser: 1337
e
Ah yup, that would explain it :) Someone ran into the istio problem and fixed it in your environment