<@U06HBGN1SA0> How can I set the `remote_path` of ...
# ask-ai
s
@Glime How can I set the
remote_path
of a FlyteFile when it is used as a parameter of a flyte task? I am try to test my flyte task and want to set the the tasks input parameter so that the FlyteFile does not set it to a random path. I will then mock and assert that a function within the task has been called with the correct paths. However, when I pass a FlyteFile(remote_path=“my_path”) into the function, the parameter path is randomised?
g
To set the
remote_path
of a
FlyteFile
when it is used as a parameter of a Flyte task, you should be able to directly specify the
remote_path
or
remote_source
attribute when creating the
FlyteFile
. However, it's important to note that if the
FlyteFile
is being used as an input to a task, and the original path is an
s3
bucket, Flytekit automatically downloads the file for the user. If you need access to the original path, it should be available via the
remote_source
attribute of the
FlyteFile
. Here's a general approach to specify the `remote_path`:
Copy code
from flytekit import task, workflow from flytekit.types.file import FlyteFile  @task def my_task(file: FlyteFile):     # Function logic here     pass  @workflow def my_workflow():     file = FlyteFile(remote_source="<s3://my-bucket/my_path>")     my_task(file=file)
In this example,
remote_source="<s3://my-bucket/my_path>"
is used to specify the remote path of the
FlyteFile
. This should ensure that the
FlyteFile
is associated with the specified remote path. However, remember that if the task expects to work with the file locally, Flytekit handles the download automatically, and the local path to the downloaded file might not match the
remote_source
exactly. If you're experiencing that the parameter path is randomized despite setting
remote_path
or
remote_source
, it could be due to the automatic handling of remote files by Flytekit, which involves downloading the file to a local temporary directory for task execution. This behavior is designed to abstract away the complexity of working with remote files. For testing purposes, if you need to assert that a function within the task has been called with specific paths, you might consider mocking the
FlyteFile
or the function that processes the
FlyteFile
to control and test the behavior more predictably. Remember, the exact behavior can depend on the version of Flytekit you are using and how the task is configured to handle
FlyteFile
inputs. If you're encountering unexpected behavior, please ensure you're following the latest documentation or consider reaching out to the Flyte community for more specific guidance.