Hi Team, We have our flyte cluster url enabled wit...
# ask-the-community
m
Hi Team, We have our flyte cluster url enabled with IAP (Identity-Aware Proxy). While the UI access to flyte cluster works fine using the google account login but accessing flyte cluster using flytectl fails at authentication and produce below error
Copy code
Error: authentication error! Original Error: rpc error: code = Unauthenticated desc = Invalid IAP credentials: empty token, Auth Error: failed to initialized token source provider. Err: failed to fetch auth metadata. Error: rpc error: code = Unauthenticated desc = Invalid IAP credentials: empty token
Anyone knows how to deal with this? Is there a way to provide the identity token which can be used by flytectl, pyflyte, and flytekit_sdk for authentication
t
Did you set up a config.yaml in a user-created
/.flyte
directory?
m
yes
content of config.yaml
Copy code
admin:
 insecure: false
 insecureSkipVerify: true
 endpoint: dns:///<my-url>
logger:
 show-source: true
 level: 0
t
I don't have experience with IAP specifically as we use auth0, but here's an example of what we use for some of our dev users
Copy code
admin:
  endpoint: 
  authType: ClientSecret
  clientId: ....
  clientSecretLocation: /path/to/secret
  useAudienceFromAdmin: true
logger:
  show-source: false
  level: 5
I'm a bit fuzzy on the details as it's been a while, but I believe this config derives its settings from this section here: https://github.com/flyteorg/flytekit/blob/f126e52dc70b8abd2be66389538a8710ef712a3b/flytekit/configuration/__init__.py#L365
You might need to specify authType and some sort of clientsecret EnvVar or Location explicitly
that's probably what the log refers to when it says empty token
m
you might need to specify authType and some sort of clientsecret EnvVar or Location explicitly
Something like this might help. If there is a way where combination of a authType and corresponding token can be provided in configurations
Which can provide IAP token to the rpc happening inside the code
Hi, we are stuck at this point. While we are able to setup the auth for UI (console) but we still have no luck to make flytectl/pyflyte work with auth enabled.
we have https://cloud.google.com/iap/docs as authorization layer. Need help in finding proper set of configuration to make this work on our GCP based flyte cluster
u
i got the similar issue, deployed flyte on my local cluster, i can visit the web console ,but can not use the flytctl command line , seems like the rpc server is not working
Copy code
[root@gpu2 .flyte]# flytectl get projects
{"json":{"src":"viper.go:398"},"level":"debug","msg":"Config section [storage] updated. No update handler registered.","ts":"2023-07-18T02:43:07-04:00"}
{"json":{"src":"viper.go:398"},"level":"debug","msg":"Config section [root] updated. No update handler registered.","ts":"2023-07-18T02:43:07-04:00"}
{"json":{"src":"viper.go:400"},"level":"debug","msg":"Config section [admin] updated. Firing updated event.","ts":"2023-07-18T02:43:07-04:00"}
{"json":{"src":"viper.go:398"},"level":"debug","msg":"Config section [files] updated. No update handler registered.","ts":"2023-07-18T02:43:07-04:00"}
{"json":{"src":"viper.go:398"},"level":"debug","msg":"Config section [console] updated. No update handler registered.","ts":"2023-07-18T02:43:07-04:00"}
{"json":{"src":"client.go:63"},"level":"info","msg":"Initialized Admin client","ts":"2023-07-18T02:43:07-04:00"}
{"json":{"src":"auth_interceptor.go:86"},"level":"debug","msg":"Request failed due to [rpc error: code = Unavailable desc = connection closed before server preface received]. If it's an unauthenticated error, we will attempt to establish an authenticated context.","ts":"2023-07-18T02:43:07-04:00"}
Error: Connection Info: [Endpoint: dns:///flyte.nginx.k8s:31120, InsecureConnection?: true, AuthMode: Pkce]: rpc error: code = Unavailable desc = connection closed before server preface received
{"json":{"src":"main.go:13"},"level":"error","msg":"Connection Info: [Endpoint: dns:///flyte.nginx.k8s:31120, InsecureConnection?: true, AuthMode: Pkce]: rpc error: code = Unavailable desc = connection closed before server preface received","ts":"2023-07-18T02:43:07-04:00"}
d
Hi @Mohd Shahid Khan Afridi Could you share: 1. How did you install Flyte? *eg (
flyte-binary
or
flyte-core
) 2. Is the plan to use Flyte's internal auth server for clients (flytectl, etc) and IAP only for OIDC (console)? Or IAP for everything 3. I guess your config.yaml file is missing the auth type, in this case:
authType: Pkce
c
@David Espejo (he/him) 1. Flyte is installed via helm charts on a k8s cluster behind a vpn 2. I believe we have to use IAP for everything as required by our infosec team
d
Thank you @Chris Green Right now, there's this planned update to the auth docs that could give you some hints. It doesn't include instructions on how to use IAP as authorization server though. Also there's a previous thread where some aspects specific to IAP were discussed: https://flyte-org.slack.com/archives/CP2HDHKE1/p1688147436819889 Please let us know if this is somehow useful for you